Topband: [Fwd: Re: K4M on TopBand]

Garry Shapiro garry at ni6t.com
Tue Oct 20 23:03:05 PDT 2009

I sent the comment below to Dave, but since there have been several
comments, it seems relevant to share it.
I just want to point out that all Pacific DXpeditions listen for Europe.
What part of Europe is heard depends to a significant extent upon when
the DXpedition is QRV.

Four years ago we went to Kure Atoll as K7C--about this time. We had a
Titanex V160e on the tide line facing out across the lagoon, with 32
radials and 700W. Being 1200 miles from Honolulu and thousands from any
other significant place, and being experienced topband operators, we
expected great things. We were QRV all night, every night.

Great things did not occur. Every night at sunset a grinding noise
appeared, and stayed until sunrise, S7 and more on the meter. One
operator managed four QSO's with UA4 and that was the extent of Europe.
We were never able to figure out where that noise came from or what it was.

At Kingman Reef in 2000, we did better, at the end of October. But the
prop would move west from zone 16---then zone 15, still holding up, then
eastern zone 14, still OK through DL and even F. And then it would die.
The UK cried out, as now. But what was there to do? The prop did not
cross the Channel.

If you think you are disappointed, you should have been here in zone 3
for the Glorioso farce.

Garry, NI6t