Topband: Determining Reversible Beverage Polarity

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Tue Oct 20 23:34:51 PDT 2009

I have four DX Engineering reversible Beverages. The instruction book says
that the + side of the ladderline on the feed point unit should be connected
to the + side of the reflection unit lest a reversed connection will result
in poor FB or sensitivity. Since my ladderline has many twists in it, per
ON4UN's  recommendation to twist four turns per meter, it makes it necessary
to disconnect the line at both ends of the antenna, put a battery at one
end, and a voltmeter on the other. This is a long trek through brush,
briars, and woods to make this test. Is there a way to test only one end of
the ladderline with the reflection unit still hooked up and tell if the +
and - are installed correctly? The manufacturer does not furnish schematics
of the "black boxes," so I have no idea what goes on inside. If you know a
simple and quick procedure to test polarity, you can make my life much
simpler, and I will be forever indebted!

Thanks in advance for any help.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC