Topband: Getting Started

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 26 13:04:15 PDT 2009

>KW twinlead, actually window line, is available from multiple sources

You are talking about a VERY different product. I used Belden 8210,
which is 75 ohm kW Twinlead. It's been discontinued for at least 30
years, maybe longer. (It's still in my 1971 Belden catalog). I found a
NOS 250 ft spool at a hamfest near Chicago about 30 years ago, and
stashed it in the basement, knowing that I would someday find a use
for it. It is NOT window line, but rather a close-spaced pair of #10
stranded copperweld in a heavy moulded brown jacket. Amphenol also
made a version of this cable, and I still have a short length. :)

Why was it discontinued? Probably because while it had much lower loss
than a good RG8 or RG11 on 160M and 80M, loss increased rapidly with
increasing frequency (and much more rapidly than coax). Loss was equal
to RG8/RG11 at 10 MHz, but about 70% greater than RG8/RG11 at 30 MHz,
and more than double at 144 MHz.

73,

Jim K9YC