Topband: My experiences with G5RV antennas

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Oct 27 07:37:03 PDT 2009

Not so fast!  The antenna that I currently have in use is  closer to G5RV
dimensions than it is to a dipole.  It is about 180' long,  center fed and up
only 30'.  I spend maybe two or three hours on 160M per  month, mostly
listening, but have had no difficulties working a lot of DX.   I've got 70
countries worked.  Most of these were worked with about 70W  output from an Omni
VI, I now run 100W with my K-3.  I don't have  an amplifier.

I've tried T verticals and inverted Ls, but this short dipole seems to be
the most consistent performer and has been my "go-to" antenna on 160M.
YMMV!

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 10/26/2009 10:42:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
oakame at yahoo.com writes:

No  argument from me...