Topband: [Fwd: Re: The East Coast Advantage]

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Thu Oct 29 22:31:40 PDT 2009

I'm with Joe. I both contest, and DX on top band. There's nothing to

compensate for location location location. I sit around evenings
listening to (or ON4KST watching) EC stations slurp up the choice DX
while my ears are recording every last stroke of lightning for 2,000
miles and little else. It was the same in CA, except there was 3,000
miles of lightning.

I for one don't even bother to look at east and midwest scores. What's
the point, to a station west of those areas? (Well, except for the folks
I know personally) And, propagation wise, who cares? They were in
separate contests that just happened to occur at the same time.

Split countries large in longitude or latitude into separate entities
for low band contest scoring purposes. For example the USA could become
three entities (or 6, if latitude were included). Ditto for example
Russia, if the same angst over scores exists there. If this were to
happen then we'd be doing formally what we've been doing informally for
60+ years: Competing against our peers.

73 Art