Topband: qsling

dt wd5r at hughes.net
Sat Oct 31 06:39:40 PDT 2009

With all the talk about qsl'n ,
I am surprised someone has not revived the
question of why some of us are not enthusiastic
about LOTW.

Marlene and I are knee deep in computers at this
desk. We are very shallow when it comes to
computer literacy.

When we were originally forced to go through all
the 'hoops', it was a real hassle for us, but we
eventually managed.

Then for some period of time we uploaded our 160
meter contest logs with no problems.

Oh, but one day, no access!
Permission expired!

Once again jump through the hoops.
Eventually I received an updated license via
email. Somehow I was never able to get everything
in right order to overcome my expired
authorization to use LOTW.

I have a negative attitude about the whole
procedure and here is why.

Back in the early 70's having arrived in Arkansas
with an old HQ129 and no money for equipment, I
occasionally found time to monitor the bands and
dream about the day we could afford to put a
station on the air.

One day I heard a big time W2 , on low end of 20m
phone band very excited, obviously working a rare dx.

He invited the dx station to standby for a friend.
Shortly a REALLY big time w6 came on freq.

The w2 started the routine, "Give him a call"
"over", "try again' , "over".'Give him a report",
"over" , "no, try again"

That went on for several minutes.
The 'REALLY' big time w6 never heard the dx but
eventually the big time w2 "Good contact! " .

All my years on a city lot in Miami, (60's ) I had
listened to those big timers and dreamed of the
day I could be one of them. But listening to that
routine and seeing the kind of competition I'd
have in trying to work my way toward the top
really drained me of any drive to be competitive
in that part of the Amateur Radio activity.

As I see it, there is no justification for having
such a secure system for the LOTW game when it is
so easy for the system to be beat in other ways.
I'm betting I am not the only guy ticketed in
early 1950's that has found the reward not worth
the hassle in playing the LOTW game.

In the mean time, WD5R's policy on qsl'ing
contacts on 160 meters, any request, bureau,
direct, or email, gets our card direct next day.

Thanks to all that make 160 so enjoyable,
Doug, n5ect
2nd in command at WD5R

.