Topband: The East Coast Advantage

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 18:12:54 PDT 2009

W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

> Unfortunately, I find the QST editorial emphasis on "Top Ten" boxes for all
> the major contests works against the local competition interest factor.  Yes,
> I know, I can go to the interactive database on the ARRL web site and examine
> scores in my section, for instance, but I could also go there and just as
> well construct any kind of Top Ten list I choose.  (But someone please
> explain to me how limiting the on- line contest results to ARRL members
> builds interest in these contests or membership in ARRL.  Imagine going to
> college to take courses but being told at the end of the semester you can't
> know what your final grades are because you don't have your degree yet.)

Actually, it's more like "you can't know your final grades because you haven't
paid your tuition bill yet". But keep reading below - there is good news !

> While being near the east coast is nice, the competition is heavy because of
> our high [ham] population density.  The odds of winning my division are
> pretty low and I, for one, sustain my interest by competing with others in my
> section or my local club or by adding to my club's score.  Back when QST
> printed all the scores, I used to read the section results not just for my
> own section but for many of the sections of the USA or elsewhere in the world
> because of where many of my friends had landed.  These days the Top Ten
> tallies in the QST write-ups  are of almost zero interest to me in the
> absence of all the scores from the rest of us, who are "mere mortals"
> compared to the winners.

For most ARRL contests, including the ARRL 160, you can get the line scores in
the same format as the good old days. And you don't have to be an ARRL member.
Just go to www.arrl.org/contests/results. Click on "Printable Line Scores".
Print them on your printer, and leave them by the loo, for perusal at your leisure.

73,
Steve, N2IC