Topband: What kind of mast is good for inverted L?

Petr Ourednik indians at xsmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:18:02 PDT 2009

> I have the 12 meter Spiderbeam mast. The top sections are very thin
> making
> the mast a useable 9 meters.

Hello,

from my experiences > any type of fibreglass pole will be so thin in the
last few sections that it is useless for supporting any wire on the top
like inverted L or so. In my oppinion You must looking for 18m pole if
you would like to install 12m support (last few sections bellow 2cm dia.
You can use just on the garden to support tomatoes) If You are planing
to install 18m vertical then You have to looking for 22 or even 26m
poles (not mni available on the market see my
http://topband.blog.cz/antennas) or thinking about the ropes at the 2/3
of the height or even thinking about the combination of the fibreglass
and some alu mast in the base.

In fact I have to say that I did not found any pole which is suitable
for long time installation which is able to support 15m or higher w/o
ropes with enough stability and weather resistivity. I used 12m pole
where I removed last few sections and rest of them with top dia. 3cm in
total height 6.5m I used for rotary delta receiving antenna. It worked
well untill first wet-ice coating arrived. After that the system was so
heavy that it got big instability. Also it is neccessary to paint it
with suitable several layers of UV protecting lacquer. If You will not
do it then your poles will be crumbled even pulverized after.

I hope it will help a bit...

73 - Petr, OK1RP