Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square uing W8JI Passive Elements

Dave Robinson ag8b at chartermi.net
Sat Sep 26 08:02:45 PDT 2009

One variation of the this system that hasn't been mentioned is to use W8JI passive elements instead of the active elements.   DXE doesn't sell these passive elements, but you can find all the info you need at W8JI's web site.  The advantages of the passive elements are that they are less expensive, you can locate them closer to the tx antenna without overload problems (noise may force may you to detune the tx antenna) and lightning isn't a problem.

Because I've only got a a couple of acres to work with, I'm using only 70' spacing and so the dimensions need to be exact and the impedance of each element need to be pretty close to one another.    I use 4 20' long ground radials.  I use the MFJ-259B to closely set each elements resistance with a multi-turn pot.   Because the elements are so short (20' high plus 20' sloper wires) BC interference isn't a problem with the MFJ-259B

I usually have to run an external preamp like the ICE unit and on exceptionally quiet nights I can run a second unit in series.   Results from Michigan: I've heard and worked VQ9LA, 3Y0X, ST2A, SU9HP, 9X0R, ZL7T, 4X4ZR, EY8MM etc, so I think it works pretty good.   Is it as good as staggered phased beverages?   No, but I do think it is close to a single beverage.   The RDF numbers in the ON4UNs Lowband DXing book confirm this.

Dave, AG8B