Topband: switch for RX antennas

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sat Apr 3 14:27:09 PDT 2010

Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

>  I am looking for a way to have a switch that can be connected to the AUX RF
> and allows me to switch between many RX antennas.
> Or better than that, something that allow me to spare RX antennas between
> main (RX ANT IN) and sub (AUX RF) receivers in a radio like the K3.
> I know there´s many stations with a lot of beverage antennas. But seems all
> of them build they own switches.
> I cannot do that, so will appreciate if someone can tell me if it´s
> available a commercial solution for that.

Jorge,

I used here the Dynair push button video switches that are used in TV
stations to switch video or monitors to different 75 ohm source
material. I currently have in the RX line a 12X1.  Nice thing about the
Dynair is that it has great port to port isolation, uses PL-259
connections (I use BNC  or F to PL-259 adapters), and terminates each
unused port with a 75 ohm resistor.  I had a pile of them here and sold
them on e-Bay. Most upgraded TV stations are using electronic switching
today so they should be readily available for next to nothing.  I  just
bought a 3X1 Dynair on eBay for $22.00 US which I will use to route
several antennas to my MFJ-1026 phaser/noise canceler.

You should be able to find them on eBay for a reasonable price.  Some of
them even have active switch lamp illumination but I have not found that
is required.  I also think that DXE has a multi port switch that allows
for termination of unused ports but it is much more expensive than a
surplus TV-passive switch like the Dynair.  You might also check with
local TV station and see if they have one they are not using.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ