Topband: Sunrise enhancement on 160?

Mark Lunday mlunday at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 22:17:37 PDT 2010

ON4UN talks about sunrise enhancement at the location of the listener when
the listener experiences sunrise, although I have never seen this (I am a
night owl, so I am usually not up for sunrise).

What I have seen before and saw again tonight was signal enhancement of the
DX station at HIS sunrise.

Happened to me with a UA9 (could hardly believe I was hearing him), happened
with 4X when I worked him in January, and it happened tonight with G3JMJ at
his sunrise.  Lots of storm static, not much on the band, but Don was S9+ on
my inverted L.  Tuned up the band and heard G3PQA also S9+  I have never
heard EU stations that strong before on 160 (this is my first season on top
band).   His signal peaked at 0550 UTC, and gradually weakened over the next
30 min.  Maybe I need to re-read ON4UN (for like the 5th time).

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG

wd4elg at arrl.net

http://wd4elg.blogspot.com

http://wd4elg.net