Topband: Preferred Topband transceiver

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Thu Dec 9 08:10:30 PST 2010

  I have agreed with Steve on  his assessment of the 9000's contour
control vs the 7800's APF in several other venues and continue to do so.
  There is no difference between the 7800 and 9000 in MDS, but the
9000's contour control is extremely effective in bringing weak signals
out of the mud.  Its action is reminiscent of the old Heath QF-1
Q-multiplier and it really makes a difference.  The downside of the 9000
vs the 7800 is the DSP noise reduction.  Even after the 9000's PEP
upgrade, the 7800's NR is far superior.  The response time of the 9000's
DSP is just too sluggish to make it routinely useful.

I have tried diversity reception on 160M using a vertical and 344'
doublet and didn't hear much to write home about.  I am going to try it
again shortly with a dedicated RX array as one of the inputs.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the SDR-IQ in this discussion.
I am using one as a panadapter and it's ability to discern signals down
in the noise in either the 2D or waterfall display is remarkable.
Often, although the signals are visible on the SDR-IQ's display, they
are uncopyable or just barely copyable when tuned with the main RX.
Given its price, it's an amazing piece of equipment.

73, Joe
K2XX