Topband: FW: Quo Vadis the ARRL and your DXCC program?

py2xb py2xb at integral.com.br
Sat Jan 2 09:15:32 PST 2010

Eddy and others

 This  is a very challenging subject. I am relatively new to 160m and my ham
spirit says the remote receivers are not aligned with ham spirit.  This is
merely a first thought. More reflections will make one,  perhaps, change its
perspective.

Take a look to  the Formula One racing (or Indy Racing for the Americans).
It became very technical and pilots have not the same tasks that Fangio or
latter Gran Hill used to accomplish during a race, in the early days. The
pilots are more technology managers nowadays.

I was always told that spaceship pilots were not real aviators. Also tech
managers.

This is  a drawback or an improvement, depending on how you see it.
That is how life goes. This will take us from one side to another side of
history.

Even before I read theses emails about SDR, I started to draw a plan to
build my remote station. I live in a noisy town RF speaking and I will
eventually build a remote station of my own. Will I break the laws that I
have imposed to myself? I need to have this straight before I expend the
first cent.

More reflections must be made having in perspective that we need to embrace
technology and adapt it to our needs. So it is likely that rules must be
re-written in order to embrace what is new and making sure we preserve the
essence of our hobby.

Finally,  it is not a matter to be For or Against remote receiving. They
will not go away. It is a matter to make it fit right.

Only 2 cents

Fred  PY2XB

--
PY2XB - Fred Carvalho