Topband: FAR Circuits K9AY Loop Preamp/Bandpass filter

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jan 6 03:10:21 PST 2010

I picked up a FAR Circuits kit for a complete K9AY loop system at
Dayton, and am building it now. I have a separate ARR wideband preamp
here, which I have used with K9AY loops in the past with some success,
but wonder if the FAR Circuits design would be better for 160 and maybe
80.  If not, I'll just bypass that part of the circuit.

Typical FAR, I guess - next to no information about the circuit is
available.  The bandpass filter uses three inductors to ground with
series caps and three in series with caps to ground.  The preamp has a
center-tapped bi-filar matching transformer on the input, with the
output signal fed from the collector through half of the transformer to
the output jack, and an RC network from that center tap back to the base
(negative feedback?).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Does the BPF cover both 160 and 80?
  If you need a schematic to comment, I'll be glad to put one up on the web.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com