Topband: SDR and the use of "AUXILIARY CHANNELS" for DX

mstangelo at comcast.net mstangelo at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 08:30:39 PST 2010

Greetings,

I agree. I've been following this thread. the problem is not with SDR technology but with the operators.

I enjoy the challenge of operating HF (and 160 MF) because I can communicate with someone without using the communications infrastructure. To some people the contest challenge to to establish a vaild QSO with a station by exchanging basic information. To others, the contest challenge is to rack up the most points, work new states or new countries. The latter group will use DX clusters, remote receivers or any other technology to make the most "QSO's".

Why penalize most users because of the transgressins of some?

I would prefer that no communications infrastructure, such as the internet, cellphones, landline, etc. should be used during a Ham "Radio" contest. If you need internet access to work a contest why do you need a radio?

A major justification for radio specturm by Amateur radio operators is justified by the ability of the operator to provide an alternative means of emergency communications in the event of a disaster.

Mike N2MS