Topband: SDR and the use of "AUXILIARY CHANNELS" for DX

Mac py2cw mac at py2cw.net
Wed Jan 6 09:21:23 PST 2010

Remote controlled Stations and the SDR abuse issue

The use of low distance AUXILIARY CHANNELS like the ones for Remote Control os Radios, in my oppinion, does not interfere with the Amateur Radio Principle.

"Low Distance" compared to the long distance path of the DX QSO. Therefore, limited distance between his operating position and the interfaces to the Amateur Band in use.

Typically the Distance from a downtown location and an adjacent rural area. Frequently in terrestrial "sight distance".

Wayne, distance inside the Country, seems to me inadequate, specially for big Countries.

Actually, Remote Controlled interfaces improves the Station Performance not violating, in my oppinion any Principle.

And potentially solving very well EMI/EMC aspects of growing concern in crowded urban locations.

I agree with Dean and Wayne on it's use only by the owner. Shared Use "hurts", in my oppinion the Amateur Radio Principles.

In summary:

The real issue is about the use of "LONG DISTANCE AUXILIARY CHANNELS" between the operator and it's "Receiver Front End" and "Transmitting Antenna".

The use of "Long Distance Auxiliary Channels" is a clear violation of the Amateur Radio Principle in the band in use simply because doing so he uses a "ANOTHER tool to do the same".

Thanks to Wayne comment.

73, Good (REAL) Dx

Mac