Topband: tuner balun

Roy royanjoy at ncn.net
Thu Jan 7 08:24:57 PST 2010

Asked,

"I have a WM. M. Nye 3000 Watt tuner and see that it uses a PI network and
Tri-Filar Balun on the output. The Balun is in the circuit on coax, single
wire and twin led output and is supposedly rated 1 - 30 mHz.

I only use coax and have baluns at the antennas.

The tuner gives me a 1:1 SWR with a pretty broad bandwidth on my 160
inverted L ground plane with a DXE choke at the base. The problem I have is
I cannot get the SWR below 1.5 - 2 from 1800 to 1810 and I want to try some
RTTY.

I hoping to solve the problem without going on the roof or taking the
antenna down.

Your thoughts on deleting/keeping the balun would be appreciated."

Try adding a (rolled up) section of coax in the shack to the feedline. If
luck is on your side, it could do the trick -- or make things woss.

73,   Roy     K6XK