Topband: T-antenna dimensions?

wd8dsb at aol.com wd8dsb at aol.com
Mon Jan 18 09:48:57 PST 2010

Hello Mike,

EZNEC model of a T configuration using a 50 foot vertical section
indicates each leg of the T needs to be 61 feet long (total length of the  top of
the T would be 61 x 2 = 122 feet), and this is based on resonant  frequency of
 1.82 mhz.

Input impedance will greatly depend on the number of ground radials you
use.  With perfect ground you should expect an input impedance of
approximately 12.2 ohms.  With an average ground (no radials), you should  expect an
input impedance of around 66 ohms.  With ground radials you will  have
something in between, and as you add ground radials you will start  approaching the
12.2 ohm value at resonance.

A good way to match the T to your transmission line with very low loss  in
the matching network would be through the use of a simple L network.

73's
Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

In a message dated 1/17/2010 10:44:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,