Topband: Phased TX3A Double Half-Delta Loop and Beverage

Neil G0JHC g0jhc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 13:59:41 PST 2010

Further to Rys's comments (congrats on the TX3D QSO Rys). I have been
testing a "DHD".  My testing has been on a smaller scale as I don't have the
real estate for long Beverages and broadside arrays, So this info might
interest the guy with a small lot. I have been testing a single DHD right
next to a single EWE  and a short reversible 325ft Beverage. Mine is
pointing South to Africa. It was the only Antenna of the 3  I could hear
VP8DMN on (just inside its 3dB points). Like Rys I often think something is
"wrong" until I tune on a signal, it's so quiet but brings in the DX. It
also works very well on 80m. As one would expect it becomes fairly omni
directional on 40m, but surprisingly has its uses there. I find it hears
better than my full size 40m loop at times.

My bottom wire in 2m off the ground. I went for 1K3 termination. Note: It's
not easy keeping 2 poles up at 9-10m at each end, guys required if you are
near the sea and its windy! F/B excellent, another 6dB on my 5m X 10m EWE. I
Use a preamp, but don't always find its needed.

My testing has been since December 18th. I'm very happy with mine. A picture
can be found here. http://tiny.cc/8xpZf

I hope to put another up to the East once the weather improves.

Thanks to all those for their development work.

This is the antenna to go for on a small lot, where you would benefit from
high F/B and some great nulls off the side and a narrow lobe. If you can fit
one in go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Neil G0JHC