Topband: Forestry Effect on Antennas and Radials

Charlie Young weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 4 05:42:48 PDT 2010

Charles W2SH wrote:

>I’d greatly welcome reading comments on this list about >your experiences with the effects of wooded terrain on >Beverages and also on
> in-ground radials.

My situation is similar to yours, plus my beverages are installed on the side of a hill. The NE beverage is around 450' long and the very steep ground slope is about 90 degrees from the direction of the beverage wire.

All of my antennas are in the woods, including the transmit inverted L's, which are supported by trees.  They seem to work much better than I thought was possible before starting on 160 in fall 2008.  Without the 450'  NE beverage, I would have been unable to copy many of the stations worked, including VQ9, 3B8, EY8 etc.

I have the same issues with deer as you. My beverages are about 6' from ground and follow the terrain. My inv L's use elevated radials, also 6' high to keep the deer out of them.

These antennas all might work better in the clear, there is no reference for comparison but in your situation, I would say go for it.

73 Charlie N8RR