Topband: V160HD Titanex

Carsten Esch carsten.esch at appello.de
Wed Jul 7 00:32:01 PDT 2010

Hi Joe and the list ...

As we were the 'other vendor' I think I have to put some things straight

We never said IF we can get the product - we are getting products from
Titanex at an steady stream (for end users it is difficult to contact
them - I agree) ...

We got a quote for air shipping for you. Price for air shipping was
about 40% of the price of a NEW antenna (you had a V160S and now want an
V160HD). So please compare apples with apples. As you know the V160HD
weights roughly 100kg where the V160S only weighs a fraction of this.
This results in a BIG difference for shipping of course.

As we told you further Ocean shipping not only would be around the same
as air shipping (because all fees are based on a 1 to minimum) but also
the cardboard tubes are not really suited for see transport (as our
forwarder told us).

73ss

Carsten, DL6LAU

-----

Folks, this past winter my V160S was destroyed by the winds in Colorado.  I
have been trying in vain to replace this antenna with a Titanex V160HD and
nothing has worked.  The manufacturer, Titanex, was extremely slow in
responding to repeated requests about the availability and shipping to the US.
Finally they got back to me and said that they were having "trouble" with their
export license and could not export to the US.  I then tried to go through
another vendor in Europe who indicated that IF they could get the product from
Titanex they could export.  Investigating further I found out that it could not
be sent via a container in an Ocean going vessel without special handling.
Lastly, the cost to have it flown to the US was virtually the same or more than
the cost of the antenna in the first place.

I am now wondering how in the world all the US hams who own a Titanex V160 HD
ever got the thing in the first place.

Is there anyone out there that owns a V160HD and wants to part with it ?  I
really do want to put up the same antenna or even another V160S.  Or is there a
special secret to getting these things over here from Europe ?

I must say this has been a frustrating experience at the very least.

Thanks,

Joe K8FC