Topband: Forestry Effect on Antennas and Radials

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Wed Jul 7 17:02:23 PDT 2010

PTA_ABD wrote:
> <The problem you will have on 160 meters is that a 500' beverage is not even
>  one wavelength long ! They will work fine in the woods if they are long
> enough.  Willy K3VW>

I have always under stood that the "real rf" length depends a lot of the
resulting velocity factor, height above ground, and type of soil beneath
the run.   Is the 500 foot length with 5 feet ABG not close enough to
approximate a wavelength on 160?  My 500' near bogs on grass really work
well...they survive a bit longer  without getting hooked up in the
deer's horns at 5 feet or more. And for some reason that always happens
2 hours into  a contest, right.

Herb KV4FZ