Topband: Beverages

Charlie Young weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 17:25:10 PDT 2010

I don't think it can be stressed enough.  Any beverage wire, even one much shorter than the recommended length, is better than no beverage wire.  This was quickly obvious to me in my first season on topband, after spending a couple of hours in ths snow putting up this NE beverage, my first.  If trees are available, it is pretty easy to put one up using electric fence insulators and aluminum electric fence wire from Tractor Supply, or other farm supply houses.  Cheap also. Even the little K9SD beverage transformers, which Craig sells for $25, will not break the bank.  They work great also.

Even my 300 footer to the south works great.  It was responsible for a 160 Q with DP1POL on the last night he was active.  Longer might be better, but shorter ones work better than no receiving antenna at all.

73 Charlie N8RR