Topband: Fw: The 500 Foot Beverage

Victor A. Kean, Jr. vkean at k1lt.com
Mon Jul 12 06:46:58 PDT 2010

On Monday, July 12, 2010 5:53:31 am Robin wrote:
> with a two wire balanced feed and reflection transformers, etc, it will end
> up behaving as separate beverages, mostly, - if all the energy paths and
> phases are attended to, it could work, but might get a bit messy to keep in
> balance-- but it will act like a beverage (a pair of beverages), and any
> beverage is better than no beverage.

The two wire Beverage behaves perfectly (as much as anything can be perfect)
like a pair of single wire Beverages.  The transformers in the middle couple
to the coax only the differential mode signal, which only comes about because
of the "imbalance" at the reflection ends, which is why grounding one of the
wires and leaving the other floating works well.  Any end-reflected signal
that remains in common-mode form has to again traverse the Beverage in common
mode form and be reflected from the opposite end in order to get into the
wrong coax.  Since the Beverage is lossy and long, the small left-over "wrong
way" signal is well attenuated.  I have experimented with reflection
transformers and find they do not make any difference.  Perhaps they help when
the output from the Beverage is very low or perhaps if the Beverage is very
short.

My Beverages vary from about 480 feet up to about 900 feet.  The short
Beverages just don't have quite the "pull out" the weak signal capability
that the long Beverages do, but there is always plenty of signal, and they
are obviously directive, just not as directive as the longer Beverages.

Good luck!

Victor