Topband: Shunt-fed tower vs. T-vertical

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 09:08:15 PDT 2010

Hello,

I currently have a 90' grounded tower with a 6 el tribander on a mast at around 105' and a 4 el 40m yagi at 90'.  I was wondering what you guys would recommend for building my first 160m TX antenna- shunt-feeding the tower or handing a T-vertical between the tower and a tree.

I have never model an antenna before and thus have no idea what the electrical length of the tower is. Furthermore, I plan on adding 2 more tribanders next year, at 68' and 30' so the loading will change. Finally, all the books I have read on shunt-feeding a tower have created an impression that doing so is not as trivial and certainly not plug-and-play.  Thus, I am considering the much simpler and more predictable T-vertical.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Rudy N2WQ