Topband: Receiving Four Square Array and a Farmers Fence

Chester Latawiec chetlat at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 17:33:16 PDT 2010

I'm in the process of layout and installing a "Receive Four Square System" from DX Engineering.

On one side of the the four square I have a fence that runs several hundred feet in  a north south direction (parallel to two of the receive antennas).  The fence is a "farmers" type metal fence which is composed of steel wire making a grid that's about 5" X 12".  Each grid is of twisted wire construction and at present is rusty as old get out.  It is not electrified and is approximately 75' away from the receive array.  As far as I can tell it is not grounded.

My question and concern is what effect it will have, if any, on the azimuth receive pattern of the array.

73
Chet
VE3CFK