Topband: 1923 Beverage ANT-SSB transmission

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Fri Jul 16 13:05:51 PDT 2010

Clarence Hansell Belfast Maine log book excerpts.

>From a paragraph referred to as Summer 1923. "The wave antenna built for receiving European stations at Belfast consist of two #10 copper wires each 52,610 feet long (16.04 kilometers) run parallel on the same cross arms at a spacing of 64 inches. (1.628 meters). Their average height above the earth is about 18 feet. (5.5 meters) the wires are transposed at frequent intervals."

"The transmitter built at Belfast for radio relaying is of the single sideband modulator and power amplifier type and is capable of giving a continuous C.W. output of about 5 K.W. output on a wavelength of 1650 meters (182 Kilocycles)."

We find that Hansell used single sideband (with carrier) in the Summer of 1923.  Shortly after when he converted to HF transmitting he encountered frequency stability problems and went to a crystal frequency heterodyning direct conversion of received station 5XX still on VLF.

Hansell was way ahead of his time.

Bruce-K1FZ