Topband: My BOG antenna

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Fri Jul 30 12:13:40 PDT 2010

A BOG antenna can be a serious antenna for those who can not use a larger or less stealth antenna. I worked two G3 stations on 160  late May this year receiving on my BOG.

If resonant to a ham band, everything that changes around it, moves the frequency.
I selected a frequency between 80 & 160  then, (finally), used my velocity factor of .5  of the 1/2 wavelength.
If too long it develops sharp narrow lobes, reverse direction, self termination, and I am sure, other problems.
If you change the termination resistor by 100 ohms and the VSWR analyzer scan does not change, it could be a broken wire, but it is more probable that the antenna wire it too long.

The  BOG antenna does require a 20db or more  preamp.

73
Bruce