Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges

k8gg at voyager.net k8gg at voyager.net
Wed Jun 2 05:19:45 PDT 2010

tzitzikas_ee  et al:  (grasshopper or cricket in
Greek?)

While I agree that an RFChoke to ground can help
drain static and a lightening surge protector is also a very good idea,
nothing outperforms the manual system of disconnecting the coax from the
radio at the entry point to the house or radio shack.  Further, a
grounding switch at the entry point further deflects Mother Nature's
electricity to ground.

While this may not be necessary in the
northern latitudes in winter, it is good practice from spring through
fall.

That also goes for antenna switch cables and rotator
control cables as well.

Nothing is totally fool proof but surge
protectors, static drains, disconnects and direct grounds all help protect
the radios and the structures as well.

73,     George    K8GG

> Hi. I have an transmitter at 160m band (500w). i know that
when the
> weather is bad, the antenna's wire (inverted L) has a
voltage about
> several kvolts. I would like to protect my
transmitter. I am thinking to
> use a 2.5mH R.F choke (1A max
current) which i will connect between
> antenna's feedpoint and
ground system. What do you think about this
> solution? Some
radio amateurs i think that they use carbon resistances.
> Which
solution is better? ( i don't like to increase the swr by adding
> choke or resistance). Its better to ground the choke or the carbon

> resistance to my transmitter's ground system or to the public
electric
> corporation ground system? thank you

> UR RST IS ...
... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK