Topband: K3NA Loop Array

Milt, N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Thu Jun 24 07:09:30 PDT 2010

Herb,

My only response is to suppose that the layer or "normal" dirt you have, the
former hay field is in fact acting as it should without or with very little
influence from the brackish water table below.  Physics can't be changed, so
that is the obvious answer to me.

Likewise, at VP6DX in February 2008, we were very surprised at the fabulous
performance of the Beverage antennas over the coral with the terminations
within 50' of the ocean at either end.  There was enough soil (perhaps
ranging from 2'-3') to support the growth of the Tournefortia Argenta trees.
I am supposing that this shallow layer of soil, coupled with the coral
below, was enough separation from the salt water to allow the Beverage
conductor to "see" the closer, less conductive earth rather than the higly
conductive water table influence somewhat deeper below the surface.

At XZ0A the Beverages were single wire, terminated variety.

At VP6DX all Beverages were two wire, reversible variety.  Each of the two
wires is referencing ground, as they are in fact two separate antennas.
Each antenna (wire in the twin lead) performs by itself with no influence on
the other with regards the other half of the "transmission line"
configuration.

I believe your hay field and our Tournefortia Argenta "jungle" are very
similar environments for the depoyment of Beverage antennas.

Have a great day.

Milt, N5IA