Topband: K3NA Loop Array

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jun 24 08:58:38 PDT 2010

Greg - ZL3IX wrote:

> Beverage over good ground will still work as well as over poor ground,
> *PROVIDED* that the ground is not so good, and the wanted signal levels
> therefore so low, that they are not able to override the receiver
> noise.  The pattern and RDF and the same whatever the type of ground,
> and the unwanted atmospheric noise is lower by the same amount as the
> wanted signal.  Correct?
>
> 73, Greg ZL3IX

No this is not correct.  The highly conductive ground causes the current
to drop off and renders the wire beyond a certain length useless.
Because it is effectively a short Beverage, it won't have a great
pattern.  The signal levels may also be low in addition to this.

Another poster stated that a 1500 feet Beverage over salt water
"worked".  That's not the criterion.  The real criterion is:
can you detect any difference if you cut the length back to 500
feet.  I had 1300 ft Beverage that "worked", however it "worked"
just as well after I cut it back to 500 feet using an inline relay.
I could A/B the signals vs length.  No difference.

Rick N6RK