Topband: Magic Antenna Land

Art K6XT k6xt at arrl.net
Mon Mar 1 20:15:04 PST 2010

Replying in a semi serious way, the March 10 QST article by N6LF and its
references may shed some antenna magic light on your ground rod
question. Or at least point in a researchable direction.

73 Art

Hugh Valentine wrote:
> Oval Clodfester is a Ham O Holic. His call is N1ERD. He lives in Antenna Magicland on Eznec Avenue and can instantly create and remove any antenna his little Code Oscillatin Heart can stand.
>
> Here is what Oval is wunderin today....He is looking for advice or education from any Antenna Elmer in the land.......
>
> Question:  When using a 160M inverted "L" antenna, he constructs a radial system of 20 radials, half 33' and half 133' in length and drives an 8' ground rod into the salt marsh he lives on and connects the radials and the Salt water ground Rod together.
>
> Oval gets pretty good results but is wondering what effect his ground rod in Salt water is having on his antenna performance.  Oval disconnects the Ground rod and runs on Radials only.  He is wunderin....did I improve or degrade my signal???....and he wonders if he could measure current flow in the 1/4" ground bus to the ground rod...would it show any current flow and how would that compare to the current flow in the radials....????  Will his SWR change?
>
> Do we have any antenna theorists who could help Oval in his query?
>
> Should Oval..
> 1) Connect his Ground rod in salt water to his radials
> 2) Use radials only and forget his Ground rod
> 3) Start building a new linear using a 3cx3000A7 or greater
> 4) Prepare for his 5th Divorce due to excessive hamming and obsessions
> 5) Perform a do-it-Yourself Vasectomy to prevent a possible Oval, Jr
> 6) Forget it all together
> ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>
> Anyone know enough Antenna theory to enlighten one as to the effect of adding or subtracting a ground rod in a high salinity environment?
>
> Just adding a bit of humor but I have this situation and am asking myself this question...just to settle my diseased and hopelessly infected brain.
>
> 73
> Val
> N4RJ

> Nutrition
> Improve your career health. Click now to study nutrition!
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=82_jtEd6F5Z1a-8ssReobAAAJ1Bcp4HfJJAzEQjRIT8FVV6QAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=

73 Art
Allison, Colorado
"Whether you believe you can do a thing or
not, you are right."  --Henry Ford.