Topband: Antenna Modeling

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Fri Mar 5 07:51:32 PST 2010

Eddy, I have been an EZNEC user for about 12 years or so.  Last year,
4NEC2 was recommended to me by a German ham visitor.  I did spend a lot
of time with it trying to learn it because I thought it had several
interesting features not available with EZNEC, especially the
optimization routine.  After a couple of weeks, I lost interest in it
and when I had to do some serious modeling, I defaulted to EZNEC, the
path of least resistance.  One of the nice features of 4NEC2 is that it
converts EZNEC files quite faithfully so that none of my previous models
were wasted.

I just don't think 4NEC2 is the right program for someone just starting
out in modeling.  The manuals are not good English translations, and I
found myself using a computer generated translation from German, since I
had studied German off and on over the years.  Some knowledge of the
original NEC commands is also required.

However, I do strongly recommend that you do go ahead in trying to learn
to use some modeling program.  It's worth its weight in gold and time
and frustration saved in the field.  And, frankly, it's fun.  I have
successfully modeled four element, six band quads quite effectively.
Little, if any, fine tuning of the constructed antenna was required.
There are other free modeling programs available on the web.  I believe
one is MMANA, although I've never looked at it.  There are probably others.

73 and CU on top band,

Joe
K2XX