Topband: First Taste of 160m DX

Brian Webb kd6nrp at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 06:43:32 PST 2010

Good Morning:

I am under deadline and working from home this weekend, but I made a point
to operate on 160m during the current SSB DX contest.

The contest allowed me to work KH7X, KH7XS, and KL7RA. This was my first
taste of 160m DX and added two new U.S. states to my log book.

The antenna here is a wet noodle: A 6.7 MHz horizontal delta loop 12 feet
(4m) above the ground. It was used as an end-fed 115 foot (38m) wire worked
against a five wire counterpoise. TX power was 100W.

I am working topband from a 50 x 50 foot (16m) back yard and have logged 89
different 160m stations from Canada, Mexico, and 16 U.S. states.

When things get less busy at work, and my neighbors are away, I plan to take
a vacation day and put up a better 160m antenna.

73

Brian, KD6NRP