Topband: sudden increase in noise level on topband

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Mon Mar 8 20:15:05 PST 2010

Dennis Peterson wrote:
> There is a popping sound or arching sound ever second on the second and the NB does nothiig to kill the noise or the arcing sound.....
If that noise is just a short pop occuring every second, it could be an
electric fence.  If it is a longer duration with a repetition rate of 1
second then it could possibly be a power pole problem (but there are
other possibilities as well).

I had a similar event which really stumped me for a while.  It was a
burst of noise occurring at a 2 HZ rep rate with a pattern resembling
someone holding down the dash lever of a keyer.  This would persist for
many hours at a time with that constant pattern.  I thought surely this
would be some kind of electronic gizmo gone haywire.  I finally got a
clue when I heard it go from that constant pattern into a random pattern
and then switch back again.   After tracking it down, it turned out to
be a bad surge suppressor on the top of a power pole.  That was a real
learning experience.  I never would have guessed that a bad surge
suppressor could create that very repetitive pattern.

That noise level was S9+10 on 160 meters.  The bad surge suppressor was
located 3 miles from my house.

Jerry, K4SAV