Topband: Sudden increase in noise level on Topband..

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Wed Mar 10 12:58:20 PST 2010

N1BUG wrote:
> Robert Briggs wrote:
>
>> Well, after years of generally quiet receiving on 160 metrers my world
>> has been recently turned upside down....I have a neighbor about 1/4
>> miles away who has recently purchased a Plasma TV set....That B#$&#
>> thing tears up bands from 160 through 40 metrers with a terrible hash
>> buzz....It happily slowly drifts up and down the band at a S7
>> noise...
>>

> Bob,
>
> I am truly sorry to hear that. If is only 160 through 40 meters I
> guess you can count your blessings. My neighbor has a plasma TV that
> trashes 160 through 6 meters! He was nice and allowed me to
> experiment with AC mains filtering at the TV but it was of no help.
> There are more than a dozen cables plugged into the thing and I
> suspect all are radiating and/or conducting the crud out to larger
> "antennas". It's just no use!

Gentlemen

Manufacturing such  noise generating devices and exporting them to the
USA may violate several sections of the U.S. Code and FCC regulations.
I had heard that complete embargo's of such equipment could occur on
Plasma TV sets and other devices if they are missing the FCC
certification compliance statement or the statement is proven to be false.

Topband weak signal reception is just to much a national treasure to
allow it to be totally destroyed by foreign profit driven entertainment
devices which are most likely non compliant for use in the United States
and elsewhere. If enough people are affected maybe even a class action
suit could surface some day.  A good case could be made that your
quality of life is being destroyed by large manufactures and big name
vendors with deep pockets. Many law firms would take such cases on a
contingency basis...but they go on for years.  Where is the ARRL on the
growing severe interference  from Plasma TV noise generators?

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ