Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Mar 16 15:10:04 PDT 2010

Jonathan white wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I have had my top loaded vertical  break on me again.
> The antenna is held up by a probably 70` eucalyptus tree,the top loading
> wires run away via insulators to pulleys and long elastic cords to take
> up execive movements during high winds.

What I do is fasten stranded hook up wire to dacron rope with
small cable ties every 3 to 6 feet.  The ropes are used to
guy the top of the vertical.  I let the ropes take all the mechanical
abuse.  The cable ties allow the wire to slip a little so it
never gets too tight even if the rope stretches a little.
I also make inverted vee's this way.  Haven't had a wire break
yet.

Rick N6RK