Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?

Mike Waters W0BTU mrscience65704 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 17:12:02 PDT 2010

> From: Jonathan white <jonathan.white20 at btinternet.com>
> Subject: Topband: suitable wire for top loading wires?
> To: topband at contesting.com
> Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 2:44 PM
> Would it be ok to use say galvanized wire for the top

Jon,

You can certainly use galvanized wire, if you take precautions against corrosion. If you wrap galvanized electric fence wire next to copper wire, the connection will quickly corrode in the weather.

Depending on where that connection is, I either:

1. Silver-solder the connection
or
2. Fill a wire nut with De-ox compound and then connect all the wires together with that.

I use 17 gauge plated steel electric fence wire for my 580' 2-wire Beverages (among other things). You wouldn't believe how much abuse that wire can take.

If the wire is subject to a lot of flexing in one spot, I would put a 6" (or more) loop in that area.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU