Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users and testers]

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Wed Mar 31 09:33:41 PDT 2010

Dennis,

I replaced my aging Icom 765 with a 746 pro.....It was a great decision
as this rig has a wonderful receiver
and other super features,  I did after a year loose the backlight but I
was able to replace the regulator transistor myself with online
instructions. I understand this problem of over taxing that regulator
can be mitigated by running the backlight at 100% or with full
ilumination..

The DSP and filter system is continuously adjustable making this a
superb RX for 160 meters.  I would like to see a side by side test on RX
with the K3.  Earl K6SE did that with a K2 and found the Icom 746 Pro to
have a superior unit.  Understand that Icom just stopped making them so
hurry while you can get a good close out deal with free power supply.

Herb,  KV4FZ

Dennis Peterson wrote:
GM guys; I would like to pose the following question to those who have
or had several of the well known transceivers on TOPBAND.

I have currently in my possession and use an ICOM IC-735 which has been
totally gone thru by MTS in Western Washington.   On a scale of 1-10 I
would rate it at about an 8 as it has a few scratches here and there.
Unfortunately, this transceiver doesn't have adequate filtering for CW
operation on topband so I am LOOKING for something USED that will
provide me with filtering for CW operation.

I would like to hear from operators who have or had some of the more
popular rigs for operation on 160 meters.  Filtering is a MUST, the rest
of the bells and whistles isn't that important to me either.  I am
looking or leaning towards the following transceivers:
ICOM 746
ICOM 746 Pro
ICOM 761
ICOM 756