Topband: Inverted L wire

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Thu May 27 08:32:27 PDT 2010

It is possible to find 500 foot spools of teflon insulation for #11
wire (I got such a spool on Ebay).  With some work, assuming you know
how to straighten out #12 copperweld, the teflon tubing can be pushed
over the copperweld, and held in place by the wrap and soldering at
the end.

IMHO, I think it is more likely that your insulation has perforated
somewhere and is making your antenna appear short. A dead giveaway is
a sharply varying Z while looking at it with a micro-power source such
as an antenna analyzer.  Transmitter power can overpower a
wire-to-tree short and make it appear steady on an SWR meter.

If it is a wire broken inside, you probably don't have long in the
air.  The wire can easily enough be pulled out of the insulation on
the short end.  (Been there, etc.)

73, Guy.