Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges

sasas asasas tzitzikas_ee at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 09:57:59 PDT 2010

Hi. I have an transmitter at 160m band (500w). i know that when the weather is bad, the antenna's wire (inverted L) has a voltage about several kvolts. I would like to protect my transmitter. I am thinking to use a 2.5mH R.F choke (1A max current) which i will connect between antenna's feedpoint and ground system. What do you think about this solution? Some radio amateurs i think that they use carbon resistances. Which solution is better? ( i don't like to increase the swr by adding choke or resistance). Its better to ground the choke or the carbon resistance to my transmitter's ground system or to the public electric corporation ground system? thank you