Topband: Long Delayed Echos?

Raoul Coetzee raoulcoetzee at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 23:22:45 PDT 2010

________________________________
Larry said:

Sri the delay was about 7 seconds...not 15.  I listened to this station for
about 15 minutes.

73  Larry  K1UO

I know nothing about how this but maybe it bounced back from an approaching
solar wind storm?
lets see: 7 seconds to get the signal there and back would place the "reflecting
storm" at a distance of 7/2 seconds away from us that would mean a distance of
300 000km/sec x 3.5 sec = 1 050 000 km.
The solar wind speed now is about 400km per second, not sure what it was when
the LDE was observed,
but if it was 400 km per second, and the storm hit the earth 30 minutes later,
it would mean that the front of the storm was
about 400 x 60 x30 kilometers away, that would place it at the start of the
LDE's at about 720 000 Km.
The error is 1050 000 - 720 000= 33 000 km, now maybe with the correct solar
speed and accurate distance calculations, based on accurate observing, it seems
possible, or not?Maybe the signal is not reflected from the front itself but
from somewhere deeper in the aproaching storm?

Now, lets wait for the flames from our very wise members!
Kind regards,
Raoul, ZS1REC