Topband: Elevated Feedline for RX

Jon Zaimes AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 21 07:54:56 PDT 2010

  Back in the 1980s at another QTH, in northern Delaware, I had a
single, half-mile run of mostly hardline and some RG6 feeding three
Beverages. I piggybacked voltage on the feedline to control relays to
select the desired antenna (single feedline, two relays, three
antennas). To compensate for the voltage drop, I supplied around 40 VDC
at the shack end and had plenty at the antenna end to control the 24 VDC
relays. Of course if you know or calculate the resistance of the cable,
you can figure exactly what you need to supply for the distance involved.

73/Jon AA1K