Topband: double L antenna

Dave Robinson ag8b at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 28 18:01:03 PDT 2010

I've had excellent results the last four years with this antenna on 160.   I
got rid of the 80m antenna because of heavy interaction.   I use an 80m
delta loop with no interaction with the double L.   My bottom element is
about 6 feet high.   I use equal 35 foot vertical sections and 95 foot
horizontal sections.    I found two important keys:   1) feed it in the
middle with a choke balun with high z at 160m.  I've had good results with
the Balun Designs Max choking balun.  2) Keep the end of the top horizontal
section as high as possible, ie with as little slope as possible.    My top
horizontal section is at 75', four foot off the tower and 50' high at its
end.   Any less than 50 feet and I really start losing performance.   The
feedpoint impedance is 50 ohms and I don't need a transmatch unless at the
band edges.   You can pour 1500w to it and not worrying about arcing
anything.      I've worked 200 countries from central Michigan (not the
greatest QTH for 160) including A7, A45, VQ9, and 3B9 so I think it works.
Good Luck,  Dave AG8B