Topband: K9AY Loop With Elevation Steering

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 30 21:37:08 PDT 2010

Tony, G3LNP has an article in October 2010 QST (page 30)  describing a K9AY loop antenna
that is able to steer the null elevation angle.  In its standard configuration we can steer
the K9AY loop in azimuth but this would permit elevation steering also.  He mentions a null depth
greater than 60db is possible.  I have power line noise that thankfully is in one direction and have had
good results with a flag antenna oriented with the null towards the noise.  It has reduced the noise
considerably on 160 but stiil there.    I'm interested in trying his  design with a K9AY flag, I might be able
 to reduce the noise even more by steering the elevation angle as he does.
Really looks interesting.  I'm wondering if his termination circuit could be applied to my horizontal flag antenna also.

Bob
K6UJ