Topband: 4 Direction Reversible Beverages Remote Control viaCoax - local switching

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Tue Apr 19 07:39:14 PDT 2011

I havent been able to detect any difference between terminating and floating
the unused direction on a 2 wire reversible. That is not to say that a 50-75
Ohm termination may offer a benefit for TX RF and near area lightning. I
still remember decades ago getting a good nip off a 1000' wire from a storm
that appeared to be about 20 miles away with just distant rumblings.

However I spent considerable time studying and experimenting with binocular
transformers. Success requires as close a match as possible in both
directional modes. This means the parallel wire impedance must be known as
close as possible in transmission line mode. In the antenna mode you start
with the classic 470 Ohms and then subtract your measured RF ground
resistance to arrive at the transformer impedance.

The various books and on line sources appear to insist on only even numbers
of turns with binocular cores when situating a center tap and with the tap
at the same end as the winding start and finish. I disagree and place a tap
at either end as long as its at the center of that particular wire. That
allows much closer matching.

The next step is to isolate all primaries and secondaries to minimize
capacitive coupling. I do this with tubing and a wire size that can make it
thru for the required turns; #26 and 28 solderable enamel works for me.
Altho Ive managed to squeeze 24 in at times the others are easier and loss
difference can barely be measured on a VNA.

And finally you need a stable RF ground. In my case that is 2-3  4' ground
rods driven in at angles at each end with three 20-30' radials attached to
each. Even with all that my RF ground resistance is 200 Ohms confirming that
with solid rock only 1-3' down there is no real ground. As a side note
elevated radials on verticals have worked very well for me.

A completely balanced transformer should give zero output when its opposite
direction is selected and 30-40dB in actuality is more than adequate which
is assisted by having a minimum of capacititve coupling. Isolating antenna
and feedline grounds is also very important.

The end result is F/B that exceeds expectations and remains stable from 4'
of snow over completely frozen ground to totally saturated soil.

Those who live in areas of excellent grounds have different transformer
requirements as well as somewhat less attainable F/B.

Carl
KM1H