Topband: A word from the moderator

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Apr 25 20:54:25 PDT 2011

Just wanted to thank everyone for allowing a debate to take place here
without it turning into a huge flame war.  It's so easy for these things
to turn into something personal.  I encourage everyone to try and keep
their posts centered on the issue being discussed.

So far - I have only seen one UNSUBSCRIBE request as a result of the
current discussion.

I do have a technical opinion on the subject - but I think I will keep
quiet about it for now.  I am talking to some PHDs at work and using this
as an opportunity to learn something new - and also impress them with
how much I have thought about this "problem".

One thing to think about in this discussion - is where the current "goes"
as it diminishes as you work your way along a 1/4 wave wire (let's not
bring the inductor into it just now for this discussion).  I have never
really thought about this - but one of our signal integrity engineers
quickly said "return current".  Thinking about that - I guess it is
pretty obvious that the current in the ground connection of a vertical
near the feedpoint is equal to the current going to the antenna element.

Return current can also be thought of as radiation.  Probably radiation
resistance enters into this somewhere - but I am not smart enough yet
to understand how that works.  :-)

Tree N6TR