Topband: SOLDERING RADIALS

Bill and Liz magoo at isp.ca
Sat Aug 20 04:18:38 PDT 2011

I've been following this thread for the past few days with interest as I am
just about to start installation of radials for another vertical.  My
connection point is a ring at the base made of 1/4" copper tubing and laid
on the concrete slap which supports the tower base.  This vertical will have
46 radials.

All wire is plastic-covered copper-some is #14 house wire, some is #16
automotive wire, some is #18 hookup wire of various lengths but 1/4 wave
where possible.  What I do is prepare the copper ring first by thoroughly
cleaning the tubing and creating solder points with a butane torch and
regular 60/40 solder. Once all the radials are soldered to the ring (again
using
the torch and regular solder), I spray each connection with a good dose of
outdoor paint.  Sitting on the concrete, the ring is protected from the
ravages of the soil.  As each wire is insulated, its survival expectancy is
quite long.  No sign of any problems after many years of use.

BTW, the other day I accidentally uncovered a radial which had been laid in
1989-not a sign of any breakdown in the insulating jacket.

Bill VE3NH