Topband: My take on ARRL 160

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Sun Dec 4 08:01:08 PST 2011

On 2011-12-04, at 10:51 AM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:

> I didn't realize that 160 and all its challenges to get on this band
> with a decent xmit and receive antennas was the birthplace of new
> contesters.

hi Mike,

Well it certainly was for me!

Topband and---believe it, or not---Field Day were probably two of the biggest contest / antenna improvement influencers in my Ham career...

When you start out in the ARRL 160n contest in the mid-70's on a university student budget, running a Johnson Ranger-1, Hallicrafters S-77A, & an 80-meter open-wire fed dipole, where else CAN you go but up...?!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ