Topband: ARRL 160 conditions

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 09:46:36 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 12:36 -0500, N1BUG wrote:
> > "Bang on zero beat" IS a problem. I am noticing more
>  > and more of that as (Iguess) more and more guys rely
>  > on SPOTTING SOFTWARE! Arrrrgh! It doesn't make any
>  > sense to call exactly zero beat.
>
> Huh? As I stated earlier, out here with the QRM and crowding if you
> are not darn close to zero beat you risk not being heard. There is
> no point in calling if you are going to be under the big gun on
> either side of the station you wish to work. If you are referring to
> possible problems with two or more calling the same station and zero
> beat with each other, it CAN be a problem IF both stations are near
> the same strength. Otherwise I find it no problem to pick the
> stronger one, work him, then go after the other(s). It is much
> faster and easier if all callers are zero beat or very close than if
> they are all over the place and under the adjacent QRM.
>
> 73,
> Paul

Hi Paul,

I was going to ask Wayne off-list about that statement. The more I have
learned the more I realize I don't know. My guess was that he might know
or observe something that others of us have missed somehow. Now that the
question is on the list...I would like to know, too. Why would we want
to transmit anywhere at all other than where the calling station is
listening? I think split operation is for DX pileups...not contests.
Maybe that's my error.

73,

Bill  KU8H